It’s a great way to build community. In addition, it has significant health benefits to everyone that joins in:
- The single best thing for brain health is exercise.
- The second best thing is social interaction.
- Being out in nature provides another boost.
The smart move is to combine them all.
Simplest: Go hiking. Invite people.
Pick folks that don’t all know each other to encourage conversation.
A bit more complex.
- Launch a Doodle to find some dates with general availability.
- Use the Make a Choice option (not Schedule an Event).
- Fill in the Day and Date of Saturdays and Sundays and Holiday days off for the next 8 weeks.
- Email a bunch of folks.
- Wait a week.
- Find the most popular dates and send out a call for Benign Dictators.
- The Benign Dictator’s (BD’s) job?
- Set a time and date.
- Set a location.
- Everyone else’s job?
- Hear and obey
- Things to remember:
- It’s always nice to have a place in mind for post hike snacks and beverages.
- Set late conditions, eg. 15 or 20 minutes after the planned departure time we’ll leave a note on Car X, License Plate XXXX with any needed info on the exact route and then depart on the hike.
- Invite a mix folks that don’t all know each other well. It gives folks more to talk about.